Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birthday Festivities!!

I would be willing to bet that most of the blog followers would know that I happen to like, I mean LOVE my birthday. I realize this may sound a little selfish and that I'm not denying, but I happen to love most birthdays of those people I love so I feel like everyone should have a special day. Good thing I have made this very well known, because now AK shares in this philosophy too!!! (I say with all sincerity and no sarcasm!!) :) But in all seriousness I could not have asked for a better birthday planner and boy was he on the job, and considering my mom was in Mexico he was flying solo!! And there wasn't just one event or one surprise....I felt like the surprises just kept coming!!

Birthday Event #1!
On Thursday, March 1 AK woke up saying "I HAVE to take the car today!!" (for those of you who don't know we operate on 1 car these days considering the public transport aspect in Chicago). I of course was like "Fine, but I need the car at 6 so I can go to yoga!" He assured me this would not be a problem so we both went on our marry way. Circa 4:30 pm on Thursday March 1 AK decides to text bomb me saying things like "I'm getting held up at work," "My boss wants to grab drinks and talk career goals, etc." "I'm so sorry, thanks for understanding!" Given that I'm not always sold on having 1 car and not really sold on taking the El to yoga, I was less than thrilled this was taking place and my response was really less than respectful (shocking, I'm sure) that he was "getting held up at work!" So I went to yoga all fired up and met my friend Kristen and yogasized out my frustration!! :) Post yoga Kristen and I walked to the El and were headed home when AK called questioning my where-abouts and my E.T.A. I found this to be odd, but he was bringing home sushi so I wasn't about to complain at this point. When I spoke with him I was roughly 10ish minutes away and thinking I was going to walk home to a take out sushi dinner and some red wine!! Samsonite....I was way off!!! :) When I casually walked into our place I was shocked to find one of my very greatest friends Jen Alpern sitting on our couch as if she had been there all day!! After I jumped, squealed, cried and nearly tackled Jen, the weekend was off with sushi dinner, wine, shopping, running by the lake, brunches, manicures, and lots of catching up over walks and cocktails. We were able to show Jen our favorite spots/parts of Chicago and I was able to soak up some best friend time!! It was an incredible surprise and probably the birthday event I am most thankful for.  Thanks you two for pulling it off...I mean not easy in the world of texting, instant message and Facebook!! Kudos my friends!!

Birthday Event #2!
Jen was headed back to Denver on Sunday, which gave me Monday to recover for my actual birthday on Tuesday!! Tuesday was a super day and proved to be a great to be born! I had taken the day off and planned a little "ME" day! I went for a long run, got a massage, got my hair cut and got a piece of chocolate cake from a fabulous bakery up the road....a perfect day in my mind!! And by the time AK got home, the day had only just begun! He brought home fun fetti cake with chocolate frosting...my fave! He also had my official birthday gift, as if Jen's surprise visit wasn't enough! But low and behold he had a special package and for those of you who missed it on Facebook I got a Chicago Bulls T-shirt and wait for it.......CHICAGO BULLS TICKETS!!! Something I have wanted to do for so long and these were no run of the mill tickets. These were like so close I could smell the sweat kind of tickets. Completely amazing!!!  And again if that wasn't enough, AK had made reservations (3 months ago to be exact) at this fabulous restaurant called The Girl and the Goat. I know the name sounds silly, but the food was absolutely mouthwatering delicious and is a total "hot spot" right now in the Windy City (hence the 3 month out ressies). So we had a great evening over great food/wine/champagne/conversation!!! And one more thing...I got not 1 but 2 calls from Mexico where my parents were vacationing....even though they forgot when I was born when they booked the trip, they made up for it by calling and singing and offering their birthday love. They also sent a little "green" something through snail mail which I greatly appreciate and which has already been well spent! :) Twenty-eight came and went in such a fabulous fashion I'm convinced it's going to be an even better year!!

Birthday Event #3!
The actual Bulls game which took place last Thursday night!! Before the actual game, AK and I met in the neighborhood called the "West Loop" (Chicago readers, correct me if I'm wrong!) for pre-game cocktails and burgers. Such a great way to kick off the evening and very fun way to end long days at work. AK and I have actually never done that before, but I'm beginning to think, Summer may bring a regular past-time!! We aren't named Beer and Champagne for nothin folks! :) Anyhow, I already addressed how close our seats were, but when I really think about it, they were ridiculous. I mean we saw the bench perfectly and sat right by the tunnel so we could see each player go in and out of the locker room a zillion times!! :) Super fun. And not to mention something I always dreamed about doing during my childhood. With two older brothers and being a kid through the Jordan-Era I watched aloooottt of Bulls games, so it made it all come full circle. And when I really, really thought about it....what a perfect gift for AK to give because it was a gift he knew I would love and a gift he would also enjoy himself. Not just handsome face that one....definitely thought that one through!!

Birthday Event #4!
That's right, I technically had 4 birthday gatherings. Only one explanation....I'm just that special. HA!:) Actually the secret is to surround yourself with special people. Again, one good reason to be in Chicago is that we are closer to family and with that said AK's parents made the trek into the city on Saturday and we enjoyed a nice "birthday lunch" with them and even watched the Sparty's pull off a victory. We all had cake and I even walked away with a new pair of kicks....AWESOME!!! Thanks for making the drive!!!

Considering my hands are tired from typing, I think you could say I had an extra-special birthday!! So extra special that I'm just coming off the birthday high and getting around to posting about all the events. Enjoy the pics below and hopefully they capture the greatness of twenty-eight!!!

a little birthday love over late night spirits and cupcakes!!!

sushi+jen+bubbles+wine = such. a. great. night!!!

I miss you Jenners....thanks SO much for coming!!! :)

"Hi Paul!!" thanks for loaning us your friend brennan...who happens to live in Chicago....very convenient (for us!)

jen (and I) enjoying, and i quote: "this freezing city!!" :) apparently even the mildest winter in Chicago still does not compare to the mildness of Denver!!

happy birthday....to ME!!!

birthday bubbles and cocktails!

ummm in case you don't know who you're looking at....#1 is D-Rose....boom! :)

23....best player of all time!!

yeah, the bulls were good in the 90's!!!

self shot on our way out for birthday dinner and cocktails!

the new kicks...a little loud but pretty fun!!


checked out the Jordan Statue....striking resemblance!! HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment