Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Growing up "Good"

As I previously mentioned in my last post, I was headed home this week to spend a few days with my people before I start back in the real world once again. This long hiatus from work happened for a few reasons: 1. our leases in Denver were up at the end of September so we needed a place to live come Oct 1 and 2. the new hospital I'm working at will not let me work until I'm credentialed which will probably end up being a few more weeks. So that leaves me unemployed for just a bit longer, and it leaves AK left to bring home the bacon....for just a few more weeks!! :)
Speaking of home, Andy and I had friends over for dinner the other night and we were talking about where and how we grew up. We were all laughing at the differences, but the laughter was mostly directed at me, because I grew up in a small town/small high school and they did not. 
So now that I am home, I will try and define what that means....
That means I have homemade hot meals for dinner, that means I get to run along the beautiful lake path whenever I want, that means when I run to the grocery store it takes 4 minutes to get there and I'm bound to see at least 3 people I know from my childhood, that means when I'm driving in the car I usually know who is coming based on the vehicle I'm facing, that means I'm still only known for the things I did in high school and not much beyond that :), that means when I look out my bedroom window I usually see a family of deer crossing our backyard, that means I typically never wake up to emergency vehicle sirens, that means fall harvest is nearing an end and people are preparing for winter, and that means there is always someone happy to see me or "glad I came," if you will. The Cheers reference is fitting, because that is how I grew up, so this to me is "home."
Many times when I try to explain how I grew up to most of my suburbia friends they look at me like I have 10 eyes and horns growing out of my head, but as a kid I didn't know any different and I wouldn't trade that for anything. Sure....we didn't grow up eating sushi, or thai food, or basil pesto (now three of my fav things to eat/cook with), but I firmly believe that is okay. I grew up good, and I was raised right....and for that I'm lucky and thankful!!

3 comments:

  1. Love to hear you are proud of where you came from! You might be able to "take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!" Been nice reading your blog! Keep it up! -Kelly Riskedahl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written this post! Love your blog and looking forward to hopefully seeing you and meeting Beer sometime soon! Are you going to the IA/MSU game by chance?

    ReplyDelete