Sunday, July 1, 2012

Summer Lovin....

If anyone is ready to bust out into the Greece song, it's okay....me too!! But we have been lovin summer. People were not kidding when they said Chicago is a new city in the summer. I must admit, mid January, sitting in awful traffic I really wondered what was so great about this place, BUT since summer struck, I have been singing a bit of a different tune....Summer Love, Happens so fast! HA!

Anyhow, we have been up to lots of fun "summer things" so I thought I would share about all the fun we have been having outside of the 7a-5p grind!!

We have been able to watch quite a bit of baseball, which I LOVE!!! I'm not sure if I ever had a choice of liking baseball or not as my older brothers played their whole life and I played softball as well, but I think it's a combination of them and that baseball/softball is in the summer and some of my best memories growing up involved playing softball with my friends!! So the love continues....we have been to multiple Cubs games this year and we have been able to see both my nephews play in IA....one plays on a traveling team and one just began his career and started T-ball this year. Let me just tell you....you have not lived unless you have seen a 4-6 year old T-ball game. I can honestly say AK and I had not laughed that hard in a long time!! Fun times for sure!
batter up!! how cute is he??

playing the field!

he slid into every base....including first!!! :)) too funny

the tom bomb cheering on his brother!!

how lovey is this picture?? jack with his aunt (me) and his best friend (AK)!! :))

my brothers and dad!! we have spent countless hours at ball fields.

my dad, his wife and most of us....minus jen and marcy and tommy!

momma and most of her kiddos....minus jen and marcy!!


At the end of the Spring, AK and I were asked to play on a Co-ed beach volleyball team with people AK works with. We quickly agreed as we both love these kinds of things, and we can hardly deny a little healthy competition. I would say we had no idea what we were getting into, or maybe I didn't know. Either way, the Chicago beaches are lined up and down with volleyball nets and there are quite possibly 100 games going on at a time. A few of our games have been cancelled due to weather, etc, but the experience so far has been lots of fun. Unfortunately though, I was quickly reminded that I can't jump and swing like I used to, but we have discovered we both are pretty great at post game socializing...take the good with the bad I guess?? :)
And AK is on the DL due to his stress fracture so he has been water boy and picture taker!! Hopefully 1 more week and he will be back in action!
looks like i still got it! HAHAHA! ;)

love the skyline in the background!

servin up some heat!! :)
 

We took last Saturday and played in a bags/cornhole tournament!! This tournament was set up as a charity/fundraiser event for ALS awareness and all the proceeds went to find a cure for ALS. The tournament was on a rooftop that looked out to the Chicago skyline which was beautiful. We paid an entry fee and an at the door fee and we were able to eat and drink all day while playing bags and raising money for a good cause. And we played in honor of one of my favorite teachers to date, Mrs. Portz, as she was taken way too young by the awful of disease that is ALS. I think the final tally was something like $10, 000 raised, so I would say that was a success and it was a great way to spend a Chicago afternoon!!
totally legit!!! and really fun!

jess and zach....our friends from Denver who live in CHI now and helped organize this event in honor of one of their best friends suffering from ALS....such good people!!!


Summer is BBQ season for sure and AK happens to be quite the grill master. I mean I hate to brag, but when something is good....it's good and AK's grill creations are better than good, they are mouth watering delicious!! And recently he had a chance to show off his skill as we hosted a summer BBQ. I can honestly say we both enjoy throwing a good party and entertaining and summer time makes it all the better....burgers, sangria, cold beer, yard games, jalapeno chicken poppers....It just doesn't get any better than that!!! The BBQ was fun and once again AK did not disappoint....the food was delish and the company was great!!
sidewalk chalk....DUH!!!

rainbow fruit sticks!! my favorite BBQ piece!!

the BBQ table...we did not go hungry OR thirsty!


Last but not least another great thing about living in the Midwest after having lived in Denver, is that some of our "Denver friends" come back for a little "up north/lake time!" Recently some great friends of ours made a pass through Chicago and not only did we get to see them, we got to see them right after they got ENGAGED!!!! Congrats Burnham and Grauer....also known as Brian and Laura!! :). We are definitely looking forward to seeing the other Mid-westerners as they trickle through this summer!
burnham, grauer+us!! so fun to see them and to be able to help them celebrate!


Oh and how could I forget.....our cruiser bikes. We seriously love these bikes and ride them all over the city while ringing our bike bells and everything. It's super fun to "cruise" around and so far they have proven to be a great purchase. I have no recent pics, but envision old cruiser bikes and best friends just pedaling down the road....makes me smile every time!

So in summary....baseball, co-ed volleyball, ALS event, BBQing, seeing new and old friends, crusin......sounds like a blast and a half to me!!! Besides that, I'm lucky to have AK who is willing to do all these fun things with me!!

Cheers to a great summer everyone.....and Happy 4th of July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment