Friday, June 1, 2012

I Love Home......and much more!!

This past weekend I was able to spend the entire weekend with my family, which was just what the doctor ordered. It's no secret (via Facebook) that "real" city life (I say "real" b/c we now realize Denver, CO is not a "real" city) wears on me so heading home to the sticks was a nice change of pace. I got to escape traffic, loud noises and the general hustle bustle!!!! Why do I like home so much?? I ask myself that a lot, because in all reality Eldora is a small little town with essentially 1 of everything that happens to reside on the IA river. But I've come to the conclusion that, some of my favorite people live there, the smell is always refreshing and spending time at our house is always a treat!! Life is easy and when I visit, everyone is always happy to see me....LOVE THAT!!! :)  I'm also lucky, because my parents have lived in the same place my whole life and I've never really had to uproot on their behalf....thanks guys!!
So while I was home I ran at Pink Lake, caught up with old friends, shopped a little with my momma, enjoyed sitting on my parent's peaceful deck, attended a graduation reception of a lovely, lovely young lady, and watched Cade (my nephew) dominate in baseball!! He's such a stud!!! :)
It was a terrific weekend and I would not know what to do without this wonderful familiar place I call home. I sometimes think the Beer of this equation thinks I'm silly for loving home so much, but the more and more I take him there, I think he's starting to see the light. I do happen to love the fact that he is so willing and supportive to make the trek to IA often and jump right in to be a part of our wonderful family. Unfortunately this trip he stayed back, but it's not like I left him alone with a stress fractured foot....what kind of fabulous girlfriend would do that?? Instead I sent him on his way in the car up to Northern MI to help his parents prepare the cottage for summer!!! Probably was the perfect place for him as my sympathy is limited and his mom's is over pouring as she has a pretty kind soul wrapped in a lot of patience!!! :) LOVE THAT as well!!
Last but not least, there is some bittersweet news from the weekend.....my parents sold our house that they currently live in and are planning to build another one starting next spring on the new property they bought by the river!! Even though the spoiled brat in me made them feel incredibly guilty for doing so, I'm very happy for them. They have worked so hard and deserve their dream home!!! I'm just very sad for me as I love the home I grew up in and love even more all the memories that surround our home. I think mostly because I don't technically have a home of my own and I still consider that my home (and probably always will be to some extent). And hopefully sooner rather than later, I will have a home of my own or our own (depending on how nice Beer is:). Really I am happy for them and I know it was a tough decision to sell, but I would be lying if I said I didn't cry the whole way down the road as I was leaving on Sunday!! Ho-hum!!! ;)
But here is to enjoying the last few months on 237th Street, to welcoming a new family to Eldora (the new superintendent bought it), and to building and DECORATING a new home (I hope Pottery Barn is well stocked!!)!!!!!! :)

So without further ado....enjoy the pics of the weekend!! (they ended up in a silly order and I'm in hurry so take it or leave it!!) :)))

I LOVE THIS HOUSE!!!!! in full bloom and everything!!!
a sunset at the lake....always a beautiful sight!! (and stolen cold handed from Peggy's Facebook page.....thank you!!!)

I love this pic of AK...so relaxed and in one of his favorite environments!!!

big pitcher!!!!

had to have been a strike!!!!

and strike 2!!! he is seriously a treat to watch play....definitely a talented dude!!!

so serious!!!

all 4....emma, jack (in front of me), tommy (on my shoulders) and cade (the ball player). PRETTY. DARN. CUTE!!!

i left them to go tubing and they left me to drive back....it was a tough decision. love the cut offs, the "tubing hat" and I. Love. Them!!!!

quick stop in the IC.IA to celebrate a graduation (no pics, sorry) and to keep an eye on kinnick and my first place of employment (UIHC in the background)!!!  



Happy late Memorial Day my friends!! And a quick shout out to some of my favorite veterans....my Dad, my grandpa Spieker, and my grandpa Kenny.....all very special men and I'm happy to know them and to have known them!!! :))

I think that's all for now.....

1 comment:

  1. So funny the similarities between you and Shelby. Her hubby is from MI and they, too, have a family lake house "up north." Theirs is on Lake Charlevioux (sp) - where's yours?

    ReplyDelete