Saturday, January 28, 2012

Snow Days, Washington D.C., bowling...and much more!!

Hello blogger nation. It's been a while, I know!! I figure I'm a true blogger now, because most of my posts begin with an apology about not being a regular blogger. But in this case, it only means one thing...beer and champagne are having too much fun to sit down and type about the day to day!!

So what have we been up to?

Well, winter officially struck in Chicago as the past two weekends we have been hit with snow, but only 8 inches each time and both times the weather warmed up so all the snow is now gone....and yes we are living in Chicago, not Denver. I feel as though this mild winter is God being kind to us as we were mentally prepared for much worse. I mean I have heard horror stories from people about the "big storm" last winter and I don't care if I never experience something like that!! :) I can't say we did a whole lot of "snowy" things, but we did enjoy the a few cozy nights with movies, delivery and each other....which are all good for the soul if you ask me.

As I mentioned in my "good friends" post, most of my good friends currently span from Denver all the way to Nelson, NZ, and yes I miss them all so much. So luckily for me and AK's flight miles I was able to visit a dear friend in Washington D.C. over MLK weekend. We both had Monday off which made for an extended stay. It was so nice to spend some Q.T. with Kendra (a.k.a K-Dogg). She got to show me her turf....we shopped in Georgetown, ate nice dinners, drank nice wine, chatted about everything from politics to our dream vacation spots, slept in every day, and even saw the White House, Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial. I wish there were wild and crazy stories to report, but after all that we were in bed by midnight most nights both complaining about how exhausted we were and both left very clueless as to what happened to the 2 very single ladies that took on New York a few years back?? Times have definitely changed!!
And in my absence AK enjoyed a nice weekend in Chicago hanging out with some good friends and teaching them how to play the game "Things!" He also got to take in the Mich St/Northwestern basketball game with his dad (Happy Birthday Mark) and his buddy Ben. Unfortunately his mom came down with the flu bug and was unable attend. We are looking forward to seeing them though next weekend to watch the Mich St/Mich game.  

Back in the early days of Denver when I had no clue who AK was he lived in this house with 5 guys in a neighborhood called Wash Park...pretty much the posh area of Denver where everyone drives Range Rovers, Moms push around Baby Bob Strollers and no one leaves their house without their favorite Patagonia accessory. So you can imagine the delight these neighbors felt when 5 guys post college moved to the neighborhood....think college on steroids to set the mental picture. But not all bad things happened on Humboldt (the street the house was located on)...it just so happens some of AK's best friends today lived there with him and will share more inappropriate memories than most guys should!! :) And it just so happens one of the guys and his wife now live in Chicago and have been oh so kind to show us the ropes and introduce us to more great people. Last weekend was no different as they invited us us to go bowling!! You heard me folks, we went bowling and it. was. fun!!! We shared many laughs, competed at a silly little game, and discovered a few unknowns....one being how good AK is at bowling. I was sure I could beat him at anything that involved a ball (I said a ball, not a goofy little puck), but boy was I wrong. Before long he was giving me pointers and I was left saying: "It's just a game, can't we just have fun!?" (famous last words of someone who is a wee bit competitive and likes to win). But with all that said, we really did have a good time and enjoyed our new company.

Besides that we feel like we have settled into Chicago a little more. We are meeting more people, figuring out our "go-to" places, and adjusting to the big city more and more all the time. I have to be honest the first 3 months felt like a vacation that was going to end, but life feels more normal now. We have enjoyed laid back weekends post holiday chaos and are looking forward to when this city warms up as we have heard numerous times that that is when Chicago comes alive and Andy has no idea how good he is going to look in Cubs gear....can't hardly wait!! :) 

Snowy School Street (our street)

branches.

together again!

dinner time....good food, good wine, good company!!

washington monument! beautiful!

WW II Memorial...what's up IA??

I {heart} the Lincoln Memorial

best friends+washington monument

there he is....lookin like uncle eddy scraping the car. gotta love him!

bowling alley!!

No comments:

Post a Comment